PDA

View Full Version : designer question-naming files

strawbry_wine
09-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Why can't designers include their name with their files?? I've got several LOs I'd love to post, but unfortunately, when I first started digiscrapping (before I knew better), I resorted all my goodies into individual folders such as ribbons, fibers, etc, etc. So now when I'd like to post the LOs and credit designers I'm having a hard time creating the credit list. Of course that's not a problem with newer kits cuz I renamed the items (which is a pita too).

But I swear, if I download one more kit where the alpha is named simply a.png, b.png, I'm gonna cyber-scream. Ah well, I've recreated some of the credits. If you see something on one of my LOs I've missed and know the designer let me know & I'll go back and redo the credit list. And if you're one of the designers, my sincerest apologies--I've already done the twenty-lashes-with-a-wet-noodle thingy...

Debra
09-14-2006, 05:47 AM
yes, I agree... We should (i'm guilty too!) put the kit name and our name in the file... that way you have both at all times :) - so duly noted :)

Rebecca
09-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Honestly I know I should, but it adds just that much more time to making a kit. Then of course you have to go back and change so many kits and if they are already submitted to a site you feel like they should all match. Like my excuses? No ok I had already started naming my pieces with my name in my newest kit after a customer requested it.

Phoenix
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Well when i download other designers stuff I put them in their own folder with their designer name on it.. all the other stuff that was shared to me and have no full name I just use whats on the filename otherwise if there is nothing - like swirlybrush - and I dont know where it came from I put unknown. If anyone was really annoyed for me not putting their name in the credits they only have to let me know. Im not a designer yet but want to be... I have always put my nickname on the file... this was a lesson learned as a tag maker.

hystrix21
09-15-2006, 06:30 AM
I do!! *yes

Its actually the first thing ON my file!

Sometimes, I admit, when the file is long I use WN. But 9 out of 10 times, its "WendyNelson_KitName_Papers1.jpg"

I had applied over at Gotta Pixel and that's what they had me doing there when I submitted things. So because of their structured teaching, that's what I do now!

It is really helpful doing that, it keeps everything together should the files get moved around!!

I do wish more designers did do this though!

sogren
09-16-2006, 07:12 AM
I have a TOU that I include, but sorry, I don't put my name on it :(

megsap
09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I always put my name on mine. They end up looking like this: Megan_Freed_KitName_item.

kcmcd
09-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I think TOU's are the BEST. Honestly, I never rename my files, so I get a lot of files that say the designer's first names only, or just their initials - and it makes me bonkers. But TOU's - perfect. Then you know how to contact the designer as well.

Debra
09-16-2006, 10:57 AM
yep, I always include TOU too :)

megsap
09-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Yep, forgot to say, I include TOU's as well *biggrin

Phoenix
09-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I often forget to add the TOU lol

SharonBissett
09-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I do name mine when they're kits.... SBissett_KitName_Paper01.jpg etc., but sometimes I'll let one of the freebies slide through without double checking it. So, thanks for the reminder, I'll definitely be more diligent - I know it's got to be frustrating. Oh, and yes on the TOU....I always include my email as well...just in case. It's such a kick to have someone email a link to something they've made with my products!