PDA

View Full Version : Two questions concerning layouts made with PSE 6

deblynn 53
06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi,

I'm new to digital scrapbooking and just made my first layout using PSE 6 on my Mac. After saving my files, first my layered .psd, then my flattened jpeg version, I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm wondering if every time I click on the jpeg version of my layout, should it be opening right on my desktop like any other jpeg would, or will it only open in PSE? Right now it's only opening in PSE, and that seems weird to me. I'm thinking that once a layout is finished and converted to jpeg it should become independent of PSE. Correct? If so, what did I do wrong to keep it connected to PSE?

2. I'm also wondering if .psd files are supposed to be HUGE? My finished .psd file of my first layout that was made using a Quick Page and just one photo, is between 60 and 70 megabytes! WOW!! That seems HUGE to me! Is it supposed to be that HUGE? If not, what did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any answers... Debbie :confused1:

donakat
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Debbie,
The jpg files will open in whatever app you specify is the default. In the Finder window, right-click on a file (if you have a 2-button mouse), or just control-click the one button till a contextual menu comes up. Choose "open with" and then the appropriate application. You can say to choose Preview for jpgs as that is an easy way to view them without going to the time and RAM commitment of opening Photoshop.

As to file size, 60-70 MB is not bad. My multi-layer LOs wind up between 90-110 MB as psd files. So, you've done nothing wrong. That is just the reality of it, and why we generally need EHDs to handle the files. Once you've made sure the LO is what you want to keep for printing, and won't need to do any more alterations, you can save a final flattened jpg at high resolution for your archive, and get rid of the psd file. Or not... depending on your level of paranoia about crashes, file losses, etc.:wub1:

Dona

deblynn 53
06-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Debbie,
The jpg files will open in whatever app you specify is the default. In the Finder window, right-click on a file (if you have a 2-button mouse), or just control-click the one button till a contextual menu comes up. Choose "open with" and then the appropriate application. You can say to choose Preview for jpgs as that is an easy way to view them without going to the time and RAM commitment of opening Photoshop.

As to file size, 60-70 MB is not bad. My multi-layer LOs wind up between 90-110 MB as psd files. So, you've done nothing wrong. That is just the reality of it, and why we generally need EHDs to handle the files. Once you've made sure the LO is what you want to keep for printing, and won't need to do any more alterations, you can save a final flattened jpg at high resolution for your archive, and get rid of the psd file. Or not... depending on your level of paranoia about crashes, file losses, etc.:wub1:

Dona
Thank you donakat! I right clicked and changed the default to Preview. I feel so stupid... I should have know that. Duh!! I guess I'll continue to ask stupid questions now that I've started... lol... do you know if there's a place to set this as a default setting so that all of my jpeg layouts will always open in Preview? Or will I have to do this with every individually with every finished layout. Thanks in advance!

Also, thank you for the .psd info. I had no idea they'd be that huge, so I guess saving all of my layered files isn't going to be an option! LOLOL... unless I get a much bigger EHD than I have now!

Lots to learn, lots to learn...

Warmly, Debbie

donakat
06-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Debbie,
This is from the Finder help files:
You can select a specific application to open a document. You may want to do this if you prefer using a certain application or if you don't have the application that was used to create the document.
Select the document in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.
Click "Open with" in the Info window.
Choose an application from the pop-up menu or choose Other to locate a different application.
To use the application you chose to open all similar documents (the same type as the current document and created by the same application), click Change All.

Dona